Saturday, February 15, 2014

Graphically powerful names that won't let you sleep at night

Good friend of my better half has a photography studio which she runs with her boyfriend. They're focusing mainly on wedding photography but also do some really nice personal projects. I had a honor of designing a logo for them, which they're using till this day. Their venture is called AA Studio, two As stand for their first names Aušra and Aleksandras, this is one of those names which have a huge geometric power behind it. "A" is one of the vertical symmetrical letters, which by itself hides an enormous compositional opportunities. In this case there are two of them which makes all the possibilities even more endless, if one could say so of course :)

First iteration for the logo was done more than two years ago, but to be honest, I wasn't completely happy with it. However guys adopted no3 (good choice from the selection btw) and were using it happily ever since.


When project like this comes a long one can't just simply forget it, especially when you're not absolutely happy wit the outcome. It is one of those things that keeps coming back to your mind because you feel the job hasn't been completed fully yet. So eventually when the stars were in correct alignment and wind was blowing frenzy behind the window I've eventually laid the ideas down on paper.




My favorite is this:

I chose to keep the top alignment of the "studio" letters as I believe it can serve as a natural bridge between first and second logo versions. I also like the relation that is being represented by the placement of the two A letters, they're similar in size and shape but also unique in the form they're created. The distinctive element of the logo is that both letters are dominant - just in different dimensions. The "A" that's being displayed in front is more coherent and defined, while the other "A" might look as its behind but it is on higher Z axis, hence on top of the first one. The relation between the letters show how two individuals can connect and and in pair form an iconic, rememberable union and symbol.

In the case of "AA Studio" I was focusing on creating an iconic symbol which shows the conjunction of two individuals rather than displaying a label of camera or something similar. Not to dwell to much but just in general I believe logos should be more than a literal labels displaying the industry that company is representing, anyway this requires completely separate blog post.

Logos aren't something that I do usually and are more of a hobby for me, but if the entity behind it stands for the values I believe in I'm more than happy to help communicate them through the visual medium. There are a few other my created logos that I'm happy about, I'll post them in following posts.

A few of my favorite AA Studio pictures:



Like and follow AA Studio on their Facebook page.



No comments:

Post a Comment